Founded in 1864 as Addison Lutheran Teachers Seminary, today Concordia University Chicago is a comprehensive university with more than 6,000 full-time students enrolled in baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral study. Affiliated with the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS), the University is one of eight colleges and universities that are part of a nationwide Concordia University System.
Steadfast in Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, Concordia University Chicago promotes academic rigor in its liberal arts and professional programs; grounds students in objective truth, integrity, and excellence; and practices faithfulness to the Confessional teachings of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, as it forms students for vocations in church, family, and the world.
Concordia University Chicago is a Christ-centered Lutheran university where truth, freedom, and vocation form students for lives of influence and service for the common good.
Our Core Values
As a Christian university of the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, we, at Concordia University Chicago, value:
- Christian Faith: The Christian faith is an integral part of our community.
- The Individual: As a member of God’s creation, each person is unique and is blessed with inherent worth.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in who we are and what we do.
- Integrity: Our community demonstrates the accord between our beliefs and practices.
- Service: Recognizing and addressing the needs of others is a response to God’s love for us, and a reflection of God’s love for them.